This Friday 22 March is World Water Day. On this occasion, we want to share with you some key figures:
• 2.1 billion people around the world do not have drinking water in their homes
• Every day, over 700 children under the age of 5 die worldwide due to the consumption of unsafe water
• 1 in 4 primary schools on the planet do not have access to drinking water
• Globally, more than 80% of human wastewater returns to the ecosystem without being treated or recycled
• Affluent people generally have access to safe water at (often) very low prices, while poor people pay a much higher price
The theme set by the UN this year is “Leaving no one behind”. Because access to drinking water and sanitation is everyone’s right.
In this context, it is essential to avoid any waste of drinking water.